A Certified Mindfulness Teacher (CMT) is a credential earned by teachers who demonstrate their training meets IMTA Teacher Certification Standards. Currently, we are credentialing for a 200-hour "professional-level" program: the IMTA Certified Mindfulness
Teacher, Professional Level (CMT-P).
Today, to become certified as a provisional CMT-P through the IMTA, prospective candidates must demonstrate the required competency and contact hours outlined in the Program Standards
by successfully completing a 200-hour Accredited Mindfulness Teacher Training Program (AMTTP).
All CMT-P credential holders must keep current with continuing education and their three-year renewal fees (cost to be determined). In the future, it is the goal of the IMTA Credentialing Committee to incorporate a standardized assessment exam into the
CMT-P eligibility requirements. Once this happens, holders of the provisional certification will be required to pay for and pass the exam in order to renew their credential.
Eligibility and Application Requirements
To become certified as a CMT-P, you must:
- Successfully complete training with an Accredited Mindfulness Teacher Training Program (AMTTP). Ensure you have a copy of your certificate of completion from the AMTTP.
- Complete the application fee at time of submission. IMTA members receive a discounted application
fee of $150. If you intend to apply for the CMT-P as a member, please fill out the Membership application
* We're sorry, it is not possible to save the application and return later to complete it. Before you begin your application, be sure to collect all of the necessary documents and information needed to complete your application.
If you are interested in a CMT-P certificate and did not complete an AMTTP teacher training program.
Please share with us your practice and teaching experience.
In recognition of the fact that for many decades there have been rigorous alternative teacher training programs training qualified mindfulness teachers around the world, the IMTA is committed to offering an alternate pathway and eligibility requirements for graduates of these in-depth programs to achieve certification with the IMTA as we evolve.
We'd love to hear from you and about your advanced professional background in teaching mindfulness and mindfulness-based practices, and we look forward to working with you and to welcoming you to the community.
Please note that there is a $50 fee to review your CMT-P alternate pathway process application. If your application is approved then the review fee will go towards your full payment for the credential. If your application is not approved, your review fee will go towards your membership fee.
Program Fees for Teachers
As an international organization, IMTA prorates fees based on the World Bank list of country economies. For example, residents in certain countries
could receive a fee discount ranging from 25% to 75% off the application fee below.
separate from membership fees
||Three Year Renewal Fee
* Estimated fee to sit for the CMT-P assessment exam once available
Application fees are non-refundable. Be sure that you meet all application requirements prior to submitting payment. The fees you contribute to IMTA Credentialing Programs goes towards administering our credentialing system and directory. Renewal fees allow us to keep our organization running, continually improve our credentialing system and expand our benefits and services to credential holders. For questions, contact us.
Your Application Status
- Teacher Candidates will be notified of their application status within 30 days from the date we receive your completed application and payment.
- Once approved, your name will be added to the CMT Directory on the IMTA website and you will be licensed to use the certification logo for marketing purposes.
Benefits of becoming a CMT-P
Certified teachers will receive benefits such as:
- An internationally-recognized credential that shows you have met our minimum standards of mindfulness teacher training.
- Discounted rates, for mindfulness teacher insurance (pending).
- Marketing on the IMTA website via geographically searchable Directory where you can list where you teach and tell the world more about who you are as a mindfulness teacher.
- Access to continuing education opportunities (pending).
- Access to peer support through network of local chapters (pending).